Pages


Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Application for Transfer

Dear Mr. Raviteja,
All is not exactly well here. I do not get sleep in the nights anymore. I am afraid I am becoming an insomniac. The weather, the silence, the isolation, the nights do not agree with me at all.For the amount that I am getting from you to go through this hell I can stand all this. But, what I cant stand is the animals.
I have been afraid of animals since I was 4 years old. A kitten I was petting affectionately scratched me. I still have a scar on my left hand. When I was 11, I had a liking for doing cycle-riding. This liking(which now I think is madness) once made me to get up in the morning at 6 A.M and go around the town. There was not much light anywhere. While riding I saw two dogs lying and doing something that I cannot write about. I was getting scared but I bravely rode past them. And then they started to bark and chase me. I rode as fast as I could, but one dog came near my front tire while the other went near my back tire. I began shouting 'Help, Help' and then thinking that english speaking people might not be awake at this time, "Kapadi, Kapadi". My chappal fell of as I cycled for some distance. And then at the end of the road, a man saw me and threw stones at the dogs and made them scared. I didnt even stop to say 'thank you, sir'.I went home with only one chappal.
Here, it is very cold in the nights. I have asked for bedsheet from my servant, Ramu. But he is not knowing Kannada and I have learnt only third-language Hindi. I told him to get some blankets and he brought bangles. Sir, what will I do with bangles? But he is a fool and not understanding. He sometimes goes to jungle and catches mongooses or snakes. I say " Yeh govt. ka(or sometimes ki, ke etc) jungle hai. Yaha bete(hunting) nahi karnau(karnee, karna) hai" and he says "howdo, howdo"(yes, yes) shaking his head like he has some spring in it. I tell him it is not 'howdo' but 'houdhu', but as I said, he is a fool saying only 'howdo' like an Englishman.
In the nights I hear strange noises. Sometimes, I think it is only Ramu snoring. But can someone snore like a wolf howling? I have asked him from where the sounds are coming. But, he always repeats the sounds that he hears and says some strange things that I dont understand. Actually, if he speaks his Hindi a little slow, I can understand something at least. One day we heard a loud noise and he screamed and said 'Ye thi .....'. I am telling him that here is nothing called 'Yeti' and he is nodding his spring-head and saying 'howdo, howdo'. Sir, I am scared now. I dont know what will happen if the Yeti comes to my house one day.
It is 12o'clock now. Ramu is snoring loudly. The Yeti is also making noises. I am still not getting any sleep. I want to resign or get some transfer. I cannot stay here.Hope you can understand my handwriting.


Yours,
Chandrappa.ps-Here it is not raining, but I have a raincoat. The crows here are very bad and they like passing motion on me. So, I wear my raincoat and go to the river to do my sandhyavandana.My black raincoat is almost white now.

No comments: